“After a 20-year career in engineering, I was looking for a new challenge. While mulling over a few ideas I took a course on cider making to improve my home cider skills and thought ….hey wait a minute! And so a project was born. We found our 12-acre farm in January 2014, picked out the site of our future cidery, and made an offer.”* ~ Rachel Bolongaro, Fraser Valley Cider Company
In this episode, we visit with Rachel Bolongara, owner of Fraser Valley Cider Company, and discuss:
- How Fraser Valley Cider Company got its start.
- Rachel describes the orchard that they have on their property and the challenges of growing apples in the Fraser Valley.
- How local businesses like the local wineries and Fraser Valley Cider Company are working together.
- What have Rachel‘s biggest challenges been starting this new venture?
- What is one of Rachel‘s favourite things about living and doing business in the Fraser Valley?
- Rachel describes her upcoming opening weekend and the special events that are planned. They now have their lounge license and are able to offer wine, and cider-based cocktails. Expect some great entertainment and food.
- Rachel talks about where they get their fruit from and the amount they need to make cider.
- Rachel describes the difference between their traditional craft cider and the cider you might buy in a store.